NATIONALLY RECOGNIZED AUTHOR, PARENT ADVOCATE AND FAMILY INTERNET SAFETY ADVOCATE
Welcome to the official site of Sue Scheff. After a harrowing experience trying to find help for her own daughter in 2001, she founded Parent’s Universal Resource Experts and has since assisted over 50,000 families with their own teens. In 2003 she become a target of an online smear campaign. She fought back by taking her assailant to court and winning a landmark case for Internet defamation and invasion of privacy for $11.3M.
Today Sue Scheff speaks frequently on the importance of online reputation, public shaming and the rise of incivility. She has been featured on numerous media outlets including The Today Show, ABC News, CBS Morning Show, CNN, Fox News and more. Sue is also a regular contributor for Psychology Today, Huffington Post, Today Show Parents, NBC Education Nation, Washington Post, Orlando Sentinel and more.
Sue Scheff has three published books. Her latest, Shame Nation: The Global Epidemic of Online Hate (Sourcebooks, 2017) with Melissa Schorr, features a foreword by Monica Lewinsky. Her second book, Google Bomb (HCI, 2009), with a foreword by Michael Fertik and co-authored by the late Internet attorney, John Dozier, tells the story of how she won the $11.3M online shaming landmark case in Florida and recovered from Internet disaster. Her first book, Wit’s End: A Parent’s True Story (HCI, 2007), details how deceptive the teen-help industry can be and shares how Sue created her organization that has since helped thousands.
Sue has been sharing her story and empowering audiences across the country at speaking engagements. Today your online reputation is the first impression people have of you — it can literally change the direction of your career, job and your life, as well as your teen’s college choice.
Learn more about the topic’s Sue can discuss at your next event.
Sue’s area of expertise
“Until you have survived a digital Scarlet Letter, many are unaware of how deep the emotional scars are and how long they can last. My cyber-shaming attack happened when I was an adult, I completely understand the new word that we are now hearing too frequently – bullycide….”
“The very weapon that destroyed you online becomes the tool that rebuilds you — the internet.” – Sue Scheff“Never underestimate the financial destruction online shaming does to people – to
this day I have shared that it was my lawyer that vindicated me but online reputation management that gave me my life back.” – Sue Scheff
It’s firsthand experiences and years of advocacy that separates Sue Scheff from others in the field of online safety and digital wellness. Do you need an expert for your next article, TV segment, podcast, radio, webinar or event on the following topics:
Preventing & Overcoming Online Shame
Listen to Dr. Robyn & Sue Scheff
- Tips on How to prevent online shaming. Sue provides guidelines to adhere to when posting online. Such as being mindful of what you post, learn patience, de-clutter your friends list!
- Tips once online shaming or cyber bullying has occurred.
- Steps to triumph in the area of online shaming.
- How to build up and humanize your online persona.
- How to check-in with yourself- am I representing myself in the way that is genuine and kind?
- Click here to listen.
Learn more about Google Bomb book.
First Coast News
Dr. Oz recommends Shame Nation book
Help Your Teens
Florida Times Union features Sue Scheff
St. Johns County author: We live in a ‘Shame Nation’ by Matt Soergel
Sue’s CPI: Clicking With Compassion in an Age of Cruelty & Trolling
Shame Nation Podcasts
- Nomberg Law Live with Sue Scheff
- Gary Cannon & Patrick Keane Discuss Oops Moments with Sue Scheff
- Cyber Law & Business Report with Bennet Kelley
- Mitch Jackson Streaming Lawyer
- Protect Your Online Reputation from Attacks and Scams with Bill Hobson
- Talk To Kids About Preventing Online Shame with Dr. Robyn Silverberg
- CPI: The New Normal, Online Shaming
- The Tub: Online Shaming with host Jay Eitner
- Digital Parenting with Sedgrid Lewis
- Screen Smart Podcast with Alex & Jay
All podcast interviews with Sue Scheff
Sue Featured on Aftershow: Internet Ruined My Life
Sue’s Video Clips
Shame Nation book named one of the best books to give your 2019 graduate. Read more.
Sue Scheff’s Articles
- The Link Between Social Media and Teen Depression
- Talking to Boys About the Risks of Sexting
- 3 Ways Parents Can Help Teens Build Cyber-Muscle
- Social Graces: Go Ahead and Look Up Your Child’s Teacher Online
- How to Talk to Your Teen About Sexting
- What Freshman Need to Know
- Digital Resilience Toolkit: Handling Online Hate and Cyberbullying
- Risk of Posting On Social Media While Under the Influence
- Why I Gave My 10 Year-Old Granddaughter A Cellphone
- Why Shaming Teens Should Be Part of Parenting
- Why Removing Your Teens’ Devices Doesn’t Always Work
- Why Online Shaming Shouldn’t Be A Parenting Tool